Backpacking with a hand luggage only
Tomorrow, I’m traveling as far away from my home as possible.
I’m traveling 18.000 km and 11 timezones away, to New Zealand. And I am doing this with nothing more than my 38 l backpack that I use as hand luggage. I have noticed that people often are surprised of how little I bring when I travel. But I like to keep it simple and minimalistic. Nowadays, most people(me included) have too much stuff. And even though I am only gone for 5 weeks, I would bring the same bag with the same things if I where to travel for an indefinite time.
I even feel like I am bringing more than I need right now.
First of all, it is so convenient. I don’t have to worry about my luggage getting lost on the way, and when the plane lands, I can just take my backpack and walk away and not have to wait for my bag to come.
Another reason is that I want to live a more simple life, and not buy and own more stuff than what I actually need. I don’t like how we are taught that we always need more stuff, or change in perfectly working stuff for a newer model just to have the latest of everything.
But the biggest reason is way more simple than that. I don’t want to carry around a large and heavy backpack everywhere. And I don’t need more than what I will bring.
What is in my bag?
Lundhags 38 liter
- Rain/wind resistant jacket
- 2 pair of shorts
- Jogging tights
- 1 dress
- 1 blouse
- 3 short t-shirts
- 2 long sleeved t-shirts
- I.d. foundation
- eyelash curler
- makeup remover pads
- foldable hairbrush with mirror
- pocket laundry wash(50 pieces)
- solid shampoo
- chafe plaster
- contact lenses
- anti-bacterial gel
- face cream
- birth-control pills(not on picture)
- charger for camera battery
- charger for iphone 4
- charger for laptop
- camera cabel
- compact system camera, NEX F3, 18-55 mm lens
- macbook Air 11″
- iphone 5(taking the photo)
- headphones(not in picture)
- case for laptop(not in picture)
- important documents, tickets etc.
- reading glasses
- energy bars
- neck pillow
- fluid replacement(to avoid hangovers)
- travel towel
- foldable lightweight backpack(holds 20 liters and folds into a small red ball)
- silk travel sheets
- bags of different colors to organize